This how-to describes the process to obtain 100% free, signed SSL Certificates from StartSSL.com and configure Apache in Debian to use these SSL certificates in your virtual domains, so that people can access your site(s) through https (i.e. https://example.com) without ever having the browser tell them the scary “this site isn’t trusted” anymore.
Before you start, you will need:
- One or more of your functional domains which point to a server you own and have root access to. In this tutorial I’ll be using my wife’s supersyntages.gr as testbed.
- A browser, for this tutorial Chrome, although you might prefer Firefox (see below why).
- Root access to your server with Debian and Apache installed, with the above domains configured as VirtualHost.
- The openssl package installed in your computer.
- One of the following emails configured in each of the domains you want to include in the SSL certificates: